25 July 2005

Why One Should Not Work Late

This morning I said to C as I got up and she was getting ready to leave that we should schedule a date for dinner as I hardly get to see her. She said she'd be home this evening so we could have a date to schedule a date, which seemed like a very good plan.

Until I got into work. Where I was asked told to work on this project that has a deadline tomorrow. Seeing as how there are not so many people in the office with 3D skills. Which I don't actually mind so much, because it's the sort of mindless greuling work that is somehow fulfilling as you go through it and tick off how far you've come and how far you need to go.

However, after having such a lazy weekend, maybe a long evening of sitting at my desk was not so great after all.

First of all, my ass is hurting from sitting so long. Same damn broken tailbone problem. It's not a good pain.

Second, I think I'm having both eye and wrist strain. I can get really absorbed in what I'm doing and hours just pass me by. When I need glasses and have to wear an ugly wrist brace, I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

And lastly, I just saw a mouse. It was a cute dark mouse, but still, it was far too close to my feet for my liking. I was absorbed in watching my screen and saw something moving out of the corner of my eye. I thought it was maybe a moth or something (like, for example, some sort of hallucination from repetitive eye strain) and ignored it for a while, but then for some reason decided to look and there was this fucking mouse looking back at me. Then it ran like a mother fucker and I've not seen it since.

Oh, on top of all this, I don't get paid for my extra time. But as we just found out in a staff memo today, due to complaints about working hours, "As you know the general rule is that people must work as long as it takes to get the job done." Now that's teamwork!

No comments: