29 July 2005

Fine

T and I went to Nando's for lunch and were gossiping as we usually do. At some point the conversation blipped on the female use of the word 'fine'.

Mainly, we highlighted the fact that when a woman says "Fine." she rarely, if ever actually means 'fine'.

Now, thinking upon it, I recognize that there are often times that I say 'fine' and actually mean 'fine'. Though usually it will be incorporated into a longer sentence. For example, "No, that's fine.". The extra two words clearly indicating the use of the word is actually the given meaning.

But when 'fine' is used on it's own, as a single word response, chances are very high that really the intent is "Fuck no that's not fine," with the underlying subtext of "and if you cared about me or thought of me in any way whatsoever, you should instantly recognize that it's not fine."

Of course, the problem arises frequently that men seem to be a bit simple minded occasionally. Which means that when a girl says 'fine' to them, unless it's done in a drawn out sarcastic tone (and even then sometimes) they don't recognize the clear cue for what it is.

Boys, listen to me. If a girl ever responds with "Fine.", just think about it for a second. Ask yourself, "Does she really mean fine, or is that just my wishful thinking. If I were her, would I really be fine?". If not sure, ask for clarification. Either you'll get a much bitchier "Fine." which will clarify that really, things are not fine, or you'll actually get a better answer.

It would save everyone in the world a lot of grief.

That's me. Here to make the world a better place.

*smirk*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Except, of course, that sometimes women confuse directness with cluelessness. When a women says "fine" we know that's a lie, but yanno, what the fuck? We asked, she had a perfectly good opportunity to give us a straight answer, and she decided to get all snarky and sarcastic and (more to the point) LIE about being fine. So fuckit -- if she said fine, we'll pretend she's fine. Life is too short to play guessing games about why she's not fine.

Men and women, two species divided by a common language.

Just another viewpoint....

Kopaylopa said...

Dan-

Sarcasm is not lieing, it's finesse. Of course the turn-around to this is to ask what's wrong. If said chica still says 'nothing' in a bitchy tone, then you can double back the blame by saying "Well I gave you the chance to tell me, and you're not, so I'm going to do 'x' because it's what you said and if you don't like it you only have yourself to blame." Not that I'm really wanting to give the Y-chromosome impaired any pointers.... ;)

-K