26 July 2005

Saturday Plans

I have just purchased tickets for me and T to go to London Kinkfest this Saturday. I suppose if Mr.Aloof was still around I would have seen if he wanted to go. I mentioned it to Mr.Ball but he has plans to install a new tap in his kitchen that day. So while he offered to go to the afterparty with me, he didn't want to go to the day events, whereas I don't really want to go to the afterparty, but want to see all the stuff that's on during the day.

So I asked T if she wanted to go. Which is cool as a couple months back, I came clean to T about my general activities and she's shared some stories of her own. Which is useful when looking for a friend to go to a bdsm festival with.

Still, it's a difficult thing sometimes I find. These ideas of 'community' and such. There is a strong uk bdsm community, but equally many people enjoy it, without being part of 'the group'. I think I tend to fall into the 'not in' category, though I do know some people who are, just from attending a few functions, and briefly seeing someone who is most definitely 'involved'. On the other hand, all my current Mr.'s are not what I would call 'involved' though Mr.Aloof has been to Torture Garden, here or in Japan I'm not sure, and has had private parties for some selected invitees in his attic space.

I suppose that's a good example of what I find more common actually. Small groups of people who know others and share within their small group. But seeing as how I'm mostly new at all this, I don't really have a 'group' though as I said, I know a couple of people here and there. So it's a bit strange to go to something like Kinkfest where I know there are lots of people who will be 'meeting up' and socializing- which is great for them.

But it leaves me feeling a bit left out I suppose. Or worse, like somehow I don't belong because I don't really belong to a group like that, not that I particularly want to. I think sometimes this is what kept me away from my bdsm interests for a long time. This idea that in order to participate, one must conform to a group, which I don't. I suppose the lesson from this is that I do not have to belong to a group to participate because obviously I'm going to go, and know some people, and it will be fine. Fun even. As there will be some excellent stuff to tempt my wallet with.

So really I should stop fretting about it and just look forward to it because it will be hugely entertaining.

Now, the new question of the hour? Whatever shall I wear....

No comments: