28 July 2005

New Old Music

At the moment I am merrily listening to my freshly received Live @ the World Cafe, Volume 6. Like an uber-geek, I won it on eBay recently. Out of print, I have all the discs from I think number 8 up. I'm currently anxiously waiting for 18 and 19 to become available to the general public so I can snap them up. Volume one commonly sells for over $100 when it shows up. So I was super pleased to get 6 for the bargain price of $30 (well, $34 with shipping to here).

I really like music. In fact, I have a large CD collection. But I don't love music in the sense that I know everything about one particular musician or get really into the nuances of music. I just like music and seem to have a lot of it. I just don't make a big deal about it.

There's this girl N in our office. N loves music in that obsessive sort of way. She loves music so much, that I posed her the question a while ago, if you had to choose for the rest of your life between music (all types) and sex (all types - including solo), that you could only have one and not the other, for the rest of your life, which would it be?

She didn't really like my hypothetical question having also admitted to being hugely fond of sex to me on a previous occasion. But she thought about it throughout the day and decided in the end that she would give up all sexual pleasures for the rest of her life over music.

This caused something of a ruckus among our group of friends. And the question ricocheted around. Only one other person picked music over sex. Everyone else (correctly) picked sex over music. Giving up a lifetime of orgasms just so you could listen to Mariah Carey? I don't think so....

You can love music, just don't LOVE music.... know what I mean?

No comments: