03 July 2005

Sunday Sucks

I hate Sunday because I wake up thinking about all the things I need to do and how I won't have enough time to do all of it. In fact, because of my lazy nature, I doubt I'll even get 50% accomplished, and then it will be back to work tomorrow.

The one thing I must get work done on is my lecture. There is only the rest of this weekend and then next weekend and then I am in Wales again. It is not something I can put off indefinitely and I only have four slides done in my powerpoint and not even close to all of my notes. At least I have the format worked out, but I still need to put it together. Oh, and then be comfortable enough with the material that I can get up in front of 80 people and give my 45 minute talk. Yuck.

Last night I met this guy M out for drinks in the city. It was disgustingly busy what with everything going on yesterday. We met at the bar at the top of Waterstones at Piccadilly and had a couple of drinks,then went on to Chinatown for a meal after. M is a sort-of friend of S's. They had a bit of a fool around on two different occasions and she thought it was going somewhere but then he dinged her by e-mail. This wasn't so terrible seeing as how he was GUD (geographically undesirable), but she was thinking there could be more.

So she barely knows him, and I definitely did not know him, but I offered to give him some advice on 'things to do in London' and so he offered to buy me a drink when he was here. We didn't really talk about S at all, but the only thing he did say was some comment about hoping I wasn't another lawyer who was going to go on and on about how much I hated what I did. I got the distinct impression that his reasons for dinging S had to do with her dislike of her life, and how she has expressed that to a new person. This makes me sad on two counts. First, because S is being defined by things in her life that she knows she hates, but feels trapped in. I know she feels trapped, though I don't always agree with the choices she makes or the way she sees things. But I also know she's a great girl underneath. Her bitterness is now interfering with her social life, and frankly, that's way bad. Secondly, I feel bad because I really can't say anything to her about it. If I tried she'd be defensive, and worse, it would probably get back to him. So I won't say anything at all, but it's tough when you know a friend could use help, but you just can't give it.

Anyway, it was good to get out last night, even though it was crazy crowded. I go into the city so rarely, it was nice to have a push to get me moving.

Today I'm cooking a lamb roast with root vegetables in this funky Mediterranean marinade. Have no idea how it's going to come out, and it may show up here as cooking experiment #3- of course courtesy of purchases made at Broadway Market yesterday!

No Mr.Aloof this weekend. He's dropped off the radar again. I'm so tired of his aloof behavior that I find I don't care that much. Still, I am weary of the looking and jealous of those who have found suitable partners. That can't be good. Maybe it's hormones or maybe it's just disappointment, I feel my mood shifting.

No comments: