12 June 2005

Reverse Justice

Recently I wrote about my perception of justice. While occasionally I may seem preoccupied with people who have done wrong that I know of, I probably don't spend enough time talking about my friends. Probably because they've done nothing to piss me off and are only worth noting when they have.

Earlier this week I was web sleuthing, as I occasionally do. Now I don't always search out those who make me burn with righteous anger. I also tend to look up lost friends. On this particular day, I was astounded to find the name of a friend come up who I have not heard peep from (or seen web traces of) for well on four years now.

Her name came up on a schedule for a group she was part of. No email or other links. I emailed both monitors of the group and asked if they would simply forward my inquiry to the person in question. On Friday I got an email back. It is my friend A, and we have been reunited.

Yesterday I chatted with her on the phone for too long (if you consider I forgot to pick up a phone card.. that's going to hurt) only to find out that in the past month her picture perfect life has been shattered. The guy she's been with for nine years, whom she married in our friend-lapse suddenly and without warning declared he wanted a divorce. The day after buying her a $35k truck and four months after an upgraded $18k engagement ring.

She said that my getting back in touch was the sort of bright light that she needed in these dark days.

And me... I was sad to hear that someone I liked was going through such pain. If only it could have happened to one of the bad ones.... Still, I'm glad that I've found her again. And I hope things improve.

No comments: