08 June 2005

Justice

A couple years back, I missed my ten year high school reunion. I had wanted to go, but I was living in Texas that summer. While I wanted to see what happened to the people I once knew, I realized that what I really wanted to know was all the dirt. For the people I'd liked, I wanted to hear that they'd done well. But what I really wanted, was to find out all of the bad things that had happened to the people I didn't like.

I had the idea that reunions should really be like this- before attending you would get a form to fill out that asked, "Please list the top ten best and worst things that have happened in the past x years. Please be specific. It's important."

I think sometimes I have a very child-like sense of justice. I think bad things should ultimately happen to bad people. In part, I use my own life experience at often getting caught out at doing bad things as a shining example of 'If it happens to me, it should happen to everyone else' and yet I know that this is not the case.

I don't believe in hell, so it's not like I think people suffer eternal damnation at the hands of some higher power... I just perhaps stupidly hold on to the belief that 'what goes around comes around'. Occasionally some of my friends who know me very well have criticized my sense of justice or lack of compassion for those who do wrong. They see grey areas where I only see black and white. They say I am not entitled to be the judge jury and executioner for those I see around me.

I say, why the hell not? My world, my reality. And I can be a right judgmental bitch sometimes.


couldn't make up my mind today....

1 comment:

bablu said...

Bad people will ultimately get bad things. Dont worry. I like the way u think in B/W. White turns to black if we turn to grey.