06 June 2005

Note to Self

I am not a computer fixer.

It's hard to be a child of the modern age. So used to using computers. Even perhaps, more used to using them than some of my fellow children. However, my use of technology really corresponds more to use than how the use got to be that way. What I mean is, I don't care HOW my computer works, I just know what to do with it when it's working.

By default, I do know a little about how and why things work. But I can't build a computer from scratch, nor would I want to. So it was perhaps a bit of folly that I tried to 'fix' my flatmate C's computer.

She was having huge Windows related issues. First I ran some recovery on it. And while it seemed to be running slightly better, and the ZoneAlarm finally loaded, it still wasn't working so well. So I foolishly decided to do a Windows recovery installation. All was going to plan and C went off to bed when the computer suddenly looks like it's doing something majorly serious and says it's going to be 40 minutes. It was the longest 40 minutes of my recent life. I convinced myself that I was reformatting the hard drive and deleting all of her important documents. Because in my impulsiveness, of course I didn't take the time to create backups of everything.

Well, 40 nail-biting minutes later the system comes up and her files all seem to be in place, but it's back to how it was before I ran recovery and not much loads and basically it is royally fucked. Though to be fair, it was royally fucked before. She needs an entire system reinstall. And I'm not going to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Though I will make all the phone calls and arrangements with HP. Even though nothing is particularly my fault I somehow feel responsible. I should have just left it alone. Involvement somehow dictates responsibility.

No more computer surgery for me.


1 comment:

X said...

Computers are idiots.

*pulls out slide rule*

---X