21 June 2005

British Pigs

No, I don't mean the police. No, I don't mean swine.

I mean British people are fucking pigs. Now granted, the majority of my exposure to British behavior is from where I live and where I work which are not, and I will fully admit this, exactly centers of culture and civility.

However.

I just walked home from a mediocre meal at Hackney Central and on the way up Mare Street, I was just completely disgusted with the amount of trash on the road and sidewalk. Plastic bags and chicken bones, empty bottles and crisp packets, bits of paper and food containers. Everywhere was crap, being lightly tossed by the wind- if it wasn't stuck to the ground by something gross.

It bothers me that there is no instilled culture of putting trash in a garbage can, and for that matter, that there aren't so many garbage cans. But even when there are garbage cans, often you can watch some jackass throw something on the ground when standing right next to it.

I have friends who come to visit and they show up after a day of sightseeing with trash in their bag because they couldn't find someplace to put it. I know about the IRA stuff and the trash cans- but hey, they figured out a way to make it work on the Silverlink!

It is completely ingrained into the American cultural mindset that 'thou shalt not litter' (bomb other countries and pillage the planet, but no littering at home kids!). But seriously, it mostly works.

What amazes me here however, is that by morning the streets will be pristine- only to be completely full of shit by evening. I would have to slit my wrists if that was my job. Though the trash guys do tend to do an excellent job. It all gets worse as the weather gets warmer. Probably because more people are milling about instead of going home. Tonight it was particularly bad, and I'm sure it will last through the rest of summer.

Pigs.

No comments: