15 May 2005

Yoga

I was saying to C yesterday that I tend to find that my weekends are lazy and my socializing happens during the week. It's just so nice to actually be home and do nothing. Of course there is always laundry and cleaning to do- and by the time I go to Broadway market on Saturdays and yoga class on Sundays, I just don't always feel like doing much of anything else. As I have tackled before, this is because I think I am inherently lazy.

However, I actually feel fairly productive having gone to the market and yoga class on the weekends. It seems strange to me that I have really taken to yoga. I remember in high school when we had a time of gym class when we were doing yoga. All I can remember about it now was that we were supposed to be learning about breathing and meditation which centered on the infamous 'Ohm'. I was struck by an inescapable fit of the giggles. We all sat there facing a mirror and I could see everyone's face making the laughter inducing 'Oh' shape. I tried to close my eyes and concentrate on not laughing which only made me laugh all the more. I (and a couple of infected gigglers) were asked to leave the room.

So I never gave much more thought to yoga, seeing as how I couldn't manage to take it very seriously. But I became a somewhat regular gym attendee and class taker and yoga kept popping up. On television, in magazines- the benefits were touted everywhere and I thought I must really be missing something. So I decided to give it a try. And wouldn't you just know it, I really enjoyed it. I even managed to 'Ohm' without cracking a smile (granted I kept my eyes firmly closed from the start). I don't do yoga nearly enough which makes me sad because unless I can bring myself to practice it 3x a week or so, I will never much improve my flexibility. But I am happy to keep it at the level it's at, with the hopes that I can bring myself to go on a Monday or Wednesday night at some point. It's just that Mondays are scheduled for consultations in Brixton from now until god knows when and Wednesday is a classic night for going out- that is if I'm not exhausted at the end of the day and just wanting to stare at my television mindlessly.

Still, I really like yoga. Wish I could do more of it. And am glad that I manage (most of the time) to get myself there on a Sunday.



No comments: