23 April 2005

Cooking Experiment 1

I am calling this post '1' because it is very possible that there may be other cooking experiment posts during the length of this blog as it's something I do somewhat frequently.

I love cooking, and will make stuff from recipes. However, often I just see something and think it will go with something else and just get into the kitchen and see what happens. My latest concoction started from a harissa from Broadway Market which inspired me to consider it used with a lamb dish. T often makes a layered potato and eggplant and lamb thing and I thought it would be the perfect dish to use the harissa with.

So I went to Broadway Market this morning, got an eggplant and some chestnut mushrooms and some beautiful looking ciabatta, along with some other stuff. I had some new potatoes in the fridge, and some minced lamb in the freezer. I also got last week from the Market an amazing tomato sauce made from sunfire tomatoes (which look funky) and some sunfire tomatoes to go with it.

So my made up dish was so: I thinly sliced the potatoes and partially cooked them. Layered them into a greased casserole dish. I sliced up the chestnut mushrooms and half a red onion that was in the fridge and cooked those down with some oil and garlic. I spread that over the potatoes. I poured some of the tomato sauce in at this point, as I had many pots and pans going at once and hand some leftover. I sliced up some eggplant and layered that over. Then I pan fried up the lamb with more garlic, the harissa, the tomato sauce, and some of the tomatoes roughly chopped. I poured this over the casserole then arranged sliced tomatoes over the top and topped with some buffalo mozzarella. Now it's in the oven cooking for another 15 minutes before I go see how it's doing.

Of course I'm not that hungry and I cooked enough to feed six. I hate living alone. I may taste it this evening and then T might come over for dinner tomorrow.. but that will still leave a ton of the stuff. I suppose I could take it for lunch next week or just eat it for dinner. Though no matter how good something is, I can't usually eat it that many days in a row. Unless of course, it's sushi.


Cooking Experiment 1 Posted by Hello

(Update: Mmmmmmmmmmmmm)

No comments: