05 November 2005

Where Were You?

I had a fun day today with T. First we met up at Broadway Market. Then we went back to her place and dropped off things and sat around for a bit before heading to the Tate Modern to check out the white boxes exhibit and a photography exhibit. Then we went to this place called fish! to have dinner which was very yummy.

All in all a good day and we went from the restaurant to the bus stop to head home. Our bus was not forthcoming and there seemed to be a lot of fireworks going on when T suggested we walk a bit more onto the bridge to actually see the fireworks. Duh! Forgot it was Guy Fawkes whatever night. So we head onto the bridge looking for a spot to see clearly when we bump into a coworker Lil'T and a couple of his friends. We watch the fireworks and then went to a pub to get a drink or two.

All went well there and eventually it was time to go and I thought I'd go use the toilet like you do when your stomach isn't so happy and you're looking at a 20 minute bus ride or so home. No line in the toilets, I jumped right into the first stall and went about my business. Finishing up my business, I went to get some toilet paper, only to find there wasn't any. Not anywhere. I freaked out. What could I do? I wasn't in a position to 'shake off and go'. I couldn't see out of the stall, I had no tissue in my bag or jacket. But then I remembered, I had my phone!

So I sent T a text, as I knew she was just in the pub waiting on me so we could go. And then I waited for a bit and then I sent her another text. And then I called her. And then I called her again. And then, I called her again. It turns out I called her nine times! I was completely panicking at this point, and there was no one in the bathroom. But then I heard someone come in (it wasn't T).

"Hello, could you help me and possibly pass me some toilet paper? There isn't any in here.", I called out feeling like the worlds biggest idiot.

"Are you talking to me?", this voice came back.

"Yes, I think you're the only one in here and I'm stuck."

So the nice woman whom I never saw finished her business and dropped me a wad over the top of the door. I was just coming out of the stall when T came rushing in, "Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! I'm so sorry!!!" I was more amused at the ridiculous nature of the situation than in anyway upset. I mean, after all, I'd gotten some toilet paper. It only took almost twenty minutes to muster up the courage to call out into the void, but I'd gotten some toilet paper.

Some things are so utterly ridiculous, that the only thing you can possibly do in life is to laugh about them. Especially if they're really fucking funny.

No comments: