21 November 2005

Hackles

Usually I avoid things that cause me distress. Or anger. Or murderous rage. The things we feel the most passionately about are often the things that cause us to get into horrible fights with one another and point guns and pull triggers. Still, it's as hard to live your life unaffected by the plethora of things out there as it is to be at the mercy of all of it.

This week I am spending not one, not two, not even three but four, count them four days in Lambeth doing consultation. First being tonight, I leave in forty-five minutes and it will take me about an hour to get there. Then an hour and a half later, I can get myself all the way back to Hackney. It's hard to have meetings with people who are very disgruntled to hear about how you want to tear their houses down. Even if they don't feel safe in their homes and will complain endlessly about all the problems, they feel better with a known thing over trusting the council to provide them with anything that might be better. Of course this is hard because me and my company are hired by the council to make sure that something good is designed and delivered. This is, in all honesty, the best job I have ever had- in particular in regards to an office that actually cares about the quality of the design. So when the residents yell at me (like they did last Tuesday) about how they're going to get a big pile of shit, it's hard not to take it personally since I don't believe that my day to day job is to provide anyone with a big pile of shit. I believe in what I do, and want to be able to convey that belief to the residents. Of course, I also have doubts about the ability of the council (or in this case the PFI contractor, don't get me started) to deliver the project. But in terms of the design and all the intention going into the project, it's good. Still, next time someone comes and tells me about how they're going to knock my house down, I'll tell you if I'm particularly considerate about it.

Recently my friend B turned me onto this political site. Usually I avoid all things political as it's one of the quickest and surest ways to get me to gnashing my teeth. Luckily, this site is along the lines of my own political affiliation, and also at a discourse level that I also approve of and encourage. Still, politics are a horrible part of modern life that I try to stay as ignorant of as possible (aside from voting, which I do).

So in keeping with that, it pains me somewhat when I come across political things that I do not agree with. As I recently did when coming across someone discussing a pro-Arab opinion on Israel. As I just stated, I try to avoid most discussions of this sort because people's opinions are deeply rooted and you aren't going to change anyone's opinion, you are just going to get angry and upset that someone could believe something that you so completely and totally do not. You will wonder at their sheer and utter stupidity and ignorance while they wonder the same thing about you.

I think I'll go read some email now to kill time before hopping a bus to a train to a bus (no, I'll probably just walk the last leg) and try to ignore the infuriating world that we live in for a bit.

No comments: