04 January 2006

School is No Preparation

Gold teeth and a curse for this town were all in my mouth.
Only, I don't know how they got out, dear.
Turn me back into the pet that I was when we met.
I was happier then with no mind-set.

It is certainly true in the field of architecture and the American education system (I can't speak for the British) that school does not prepare you for the experience of the doldrums of working day in and day out year in and year out in an office.

And if you'd 'a took to me like
A gull takes to the wind.
Well, I'd 'a jumped from my tree
And I'd a danced like the king of the eyesores
And the rest of our lives would 'a fared well.

While there are elements of my job that are exciting and interesting, and are representative of what I worked so hard at learning for years and years, there are also moments of sheer and utter boredom. Filing. Editing. Coloring. The work of the infamous 'monkey'.

New slang when you notice the stripes, the dirt in your fries.
Hope it's right when you die, old and bony.
Dawn breaks like a bull through the hall,
Never should have called
But my head's to the wall and I'm lonely.

I suppose there are some people who are happy to be done with school. To put it all behind them. And there are certainly things I don't miss about being a student. All the requirements of the things that I wasn't really interested in. Like structures. Which I'm regretting now as I begin to start thinking about my next two exams.

And if you'd 'a took to me like
A gull takes to the wind.
Well, I'd 'a jumped from my tree
And I'd a danced like the kind of the eyesores
And the rest of our lives would 'a fared well.

Why is it that work isn't about learning? How is it that we all become these drones that get up in the morning and get ourselves into work and punch a clock and eat our lunches and go home so that we can do it all over again?

God speed all the bakers at dawn
May they all cut their thumbs,
And bleed into their buns
'Till they melt away.

Youth is wasted on the young I guess. But we don't do ourselves any favors either. We set ourselves up for mundanity before we've given ourselves a chance it seems. Maybe it's hope that's wasted on the young.

I'm looking in on the good life I might be doomed never to find.
Without a trust or flaming fields am I to dumb to refine?
And if you'd 'a took to me like
Well I'd a danced like the queen of the eyesores
And the rest of our lives would 'a fared well.

2 comments:

moi said...

Nothing prepares you for the banality of the day to day boredom of an Architects office.

... just make sure you don't roll over in that review... or you'll have me to worry about!

;0p

Kopaylopa said...

Quit talking about worrying me... that's dirty. And I wouldn't let you. *smirk*
-K