25 May 2006

Detail in the Definition

Funny how just a few posts back I said that everyone was at a different stage of their pattern and now, just a short time later, we are all rather lined up quite nicely.

My friends ask me how I am, in respect to feeling sad about the departure of Mr.Aloof to which I generally respond that I am sad and processing the whole thing and trying to move on. Of course, as most of my friends know, sometimes, if one doesn't ask a specific question, one doesn't really get the full detailed answer. Ask a general question, get a general answer, if you want to know more, ask more.

I recognize sometimes, that I have more to say, when the question isn't asked, and then I hold that information inside and consider the answer myself. Sometimes, it is something I haven't consciously considered before. So I've been thinking about Mr.Aloof here and there. About how I miss him. About how of course I want to go have a fantastic play session in the five story Victorian warehouse. Really about how I want him to be the person that I see he has the potential to be, and not the person who he actually is at all.

It's a tricky bit of mental gymnastics to wrestle your brain into paying attention to this finer bit of detail. He is not the person that I want him to be. Yes, there is potential, there were glimpses of that fantasy within the totality of who he truly is. But just because I want him to be a certain way, does not mean that he actually can ever be that way. The trouble with me, and some of my friends is that we think we can achieve goals in other people by modifying our own behavior. When Mr.Aloof sent his parting email he said that although he had tried, he hadn't been able to feel the spark with me that he needed in order to take things any farther. And what was my first reaction? To wonder how I had failed or what I could have done differently to have made that spark occur. My next thought? To be irritated with him for not telling me what it was I was lacking so that I could have tried to be that for him. My third thought, and not at all where it should have been in the priority order of thinking was that of course this was all obvious, and I knew somewhere beneath my fantasy yearnings that he was not right for me either.

While I wanted him to be this person he is not, and hoped for him to suddenly fulfill the potential that I saw within him, that was not his reality. And the feelings I had for him were in many ways for the fantasy I had created around him, and not for who he actually is at all. And in a way, this is a helpful distinction to make. Because while I feel sad and miss 'him', I quickly follow this up with a mental reminder that what I miss is something that I never had. What I long for, is something that he never was. And that it is not my job in life to become anything other than who I am to make someone treat me with respect and consideration. That I did not deserve the crap that he put me through, my tolerance, my forgiveness, or my patience. He, the man who he truly is, is unworthy of me, and is not actually the person to whom I am tied. I am tied to the fantasy of him.

But the processing of this is easier. I am tied therefore, to something that lies solely within myself. And so I ask myself, what role does this fantasy play in my view of myself, that I feel so desperately that I need it, regardless of the real person who is now, in this deeper level of thinking, no longer worth considering? Because my fantasy construct understood me. Wanted to be with me. And on some level, I clearly feel that people don't understand me, and don't want to be with me. Which is why my attraction is so strong. Of course there is more- additional detail and bits of things that I attributed to the man who in no way resembled the properties I gave him. But I had just enough attention from him to make it stick. To make it believable.

The only way for me to get out of this cycle is to not look for things that are absent in me, in others. I know how they say that you can't really find love until you love yourself. And I think that's perhaps an oversimplified version of what I'm trying to deconstruct. You won't find stability while you look for others to complete you, or to compensate for your flaws. You won't find anyone to value you, if you don't value yourself. And why would they? Because it's not that you don't value yourself that's the problem, it's how you behave, or how you allow yourself to be treated because you don't. If you allow people to walk on you, someone will come along and take advantage of it.

Every day now that I'm not getting email from Mr.Aloof I feel the sadness. The dash of the tiny expectation, the extinguishing of the small hope. And every time it happens it reminds me that my sadness in many ways isn't really about him at all. It reminds me that I need to work on me for a while. And only for the very best reason of all. I know I deserve so much more, and I don't want to go through this all again.

3 comments:

kybruno said...

damned nice fractal

moi said...

You are of course completely right. It's just so damn frustrating that these men, within which we see so much potential are so inadequate, so incapable of living up to the high expectations that we have of ourselves. It's no surprise that the education and intellectual advancement of women has something to do with the high rate of single mature women. We are no longer content to remain inferior to our potential. Of course as caring and considerate creatures we feel the unequivocal desire to have a partner that we can please.

I know that we shouldn’t have to sacrifice who we are to receive respect, consideration and acceptance; unfortunately men are consistently presenting themselves as so utterly shallow and self-obsessed. Perhaps its understandable that we feel the need to accept less than we deserve, understandable, but not acceptable. My insecurities and fears are heightened at present I know this. It’s only natural to look for a partner who can compliment your ‘self’, of course we shouldn’t have to mould ourselves to fit another, I’m guilty of it, I know it only too well. It doesn’t make the loss and disappointment any easier to stomach right now though.

Thanks for formulating the thoughts that are bouncing around my head into something tangible and focused… now I just have to work on believing… of course time and distance will help.

We should all become lesbians… women seem to make so much more sense and live up to expectations that much better… if only I didn’t prefer men, damn them, damn them all.

It’s the stupid things like leaving you a comment, right after he has. That twinge of needing him, to talk to him, to hear his voice. Of course he never was who I believed he was, he never will be, by his own admission he will always be a failure, here has failed again, failed to live up to my expectation of him. But then they were my expectations...

I’ve gone on for too long, it’s your blog, I don’t mean to hijack it… I just wanted to say I know you’re right… and reading it helps.

Kopaylopa said...

He will always be a failure because that's who he is. And the comfort gained from a conversation or a word is the comfort from the fantasy, not from the person. Mourn for the fantasy and scorn the miserable person who never actually gave you what you needed or deserved while taking all you had to offer.

-K