26 August 2005

Salary Warfare

Earlier this week we all received our annual pay adjustment slips in our mailboxes. Now reviews were a while ago, and mine went alright. Reviews are a tricky business. We only have them once a year here. And ostensibly, you are supposed to discuss your thoughts on your performance and on the operations of the business. The reality is, it is your only chance to pipe up about your low pay and appalling working conditions (find that quote origin).

Now honestly, I hate the concept of arguing for salary. I tend to believe in a just world where everyone should behave in a fair and correct manner. So it really galls me to have to dig in and whinge about what I get paid. The truth is, because I choose to live in a country other than my own, I am somewhat relegated to earning less than I would be had I stayed in the States. It doesn't matter that London is more expensive to live in than any American city, that's just how it is. Another difference between working here and working there is that I do not get paid overtime. Or for that matter, get any sort of reasonable compensation for the extra hours I work. This also irritates me but is par for the course. I choose to live here, so I will accept the rules, no matter how annoying I think they may be.

But the hard part is, is that even with all of these factors, I am still earning even less than I should be. The truth is, most people in this office are earning less than they should be, and it's often a topic for general grumbling and discussions.
The reason we all stay of course, is that we like working with each other. The office, despite it's deplorable management has an excellent atmosphere generally, and the work is also interesting and good. So it's only that much more distressing that the management is so poor.

So anyway, earlier this week we got our slips which told us how much our increase was. And I wasn't pleased. So I asked one of the directors if I could have a quick word. Which I did. The upshot is I will have another salary review in December, after T is gone and my position is supposed to 'shift' into one of more responsibility. Because there is no way that what they quoted me is going to float if they expect me to manage projects. So four months. I suppose that's alright.


I don't know. Does it really matter? Money does matter, don't get me wrong. But would I want to be like S, so miserable all the time just for some extra cash? Do I live a life that is uncomfortable or lacking? Not really. Maybe this is part of the reason I dislike discussing money so much. Because in reality, I don't think I'm doing that badly with what I have now- and I just can't seem to muster up that much energy to argue about what I may be worth.
On the other hand, it's an attitude like that which keeps me where I am, on the salary I'm on.

And don't even get me started on the fact that I am fairly sure most of the men in the office are doing better than the women. It's completely true about women and business. We don't approach interactions the same way, and higher-ups in business often take advantage of this fact by paying a woman less. But it's not entirely the fault of the women either, because I would tend to additionally argue that women are treated differently in these negotiations because they are expected to behave differently and so it's a viscous cycle.


I think I'm just glad I said anything at all. And will have another review in December. I may not be that bothered about my quality of life on my current salary, but it is important to make sure that I am compensated fairly for what I do. After all, no one else is going to do it if I don't. And if you don't value yourself, others won't value you either. Lesson of the day.

No comments: