28 August 2005

Girlie Things

Today I did something that I rarely do, and that was, give some space in my life to my inner girl. Not too much space mind you, but enough to drop over three hundred pounds on girlie things.

On Wednesday, S and I are off to Sienna for N and J's wedding. I have been putting off buying clothes for this wedding, though to be fair, I desperately needed some. I kept meaning to go every weekend, but in true master procrastinator form, I left it until this weekend, just a few days before the flight, to attempt to purchase an outfit or two.

In order to facilitate this rare occurrence, T agreed to join me and make sure I actually bought something flattering as opposed to something not, which to be fair, left to my own devices, I would likely pick. Though also to be fair, I have been getting better at making good clothing choices when out shopping, but wedding clothes? I definitely needed help.

First we went to Dorothy Perkins and while I didn't find anything particularly wedding suitable there, I did find two cardigan tops for fall/winter which made me very happy as one is orange and the other is kingfisher. Colors. Now there's a more recent change. I like wearing colors. Ever since having mine done. But that's another girlie blog for another day perhaps. Too much girlie information and my blog might self destruct.

Anyway, with no wedding clothes bought, we headed to the department stores. First stop John Lewis- really just because it was before Debenhams. We wandered around for a while, and it was tricky, because all of the fall clothes are out and not much left for summer. But in Italy it will be hot, and long sleeves and wool are just not going to do. I was getting very discouraged and felt like we were just walking in circles of the same clothes, when we did manage to pick up a thing or two here and there to try on.

And wouldn't you know it, I found wedding clothes!

A lovely brown dress with beads and blue stitching detail that gets revealed when you walk and is hidden in the folds when standing still. To go with the dress, an amazing brown beaded shawl thing that is very swish. And a slightly more casual but still pretty nice matching green skirt and half sweater. I also managed to pick up a fabulous pair of brown sandal wedges to complete both outfits, as well as the ones I was harboring at home- mainly my two brown skirts with various top arrangements. Heck I even bought some earrings. Madness.

Then had to pop into Marks to get a simple white top to go with the green set, and a bodysuit sucker-innie thing to wear under the dress. Never tried one of those on before. I understand the point, but damn. Seriously. But I suppose my inner girl is willing to suffer for fashion.

So that was my day. Very, very girlie. And now I have pretty clothes and shoes. Just in time to hop on a plane for Wednesday. How the heck I'm going to fit all this crap in my rucksack, is another matter entirely.

On a completely unrelated note, I've been addicted to TMF's Pimp My Ride marathon this weekend. Still, I didn't see a pimped up subaru station wagon. Clearly, they know nothing.

2 comments:

X said...

Have you seen the awkward 50-year-old who presents the UK version of Pimp My Ride? Once you've seen that, you'll be cured of your addiction, I promise.

---X

Kopaylopa said...

Luckily, I've never seen the UK version. I wouldn't know half the silly cars everyone drives here anyway. ;)