10 August 2005

Hump Day

Now there's a phrase that most British people don't seem to be familiar with. 'Hump' as in, getting over the mid-point hump. Wednesday is the hump day of the week you see, the midpoint- the transition from half empty to half full.

Of course, to be fair, it doesn't really happen until lunch and so now, early in the morning, it's still half empty time.

I'm trying to figure out if I should take my sneakers into work today. Wednesday is office softball day. Yesterday, an informal straw pole indicated that we did not have enough players for a team. This was seriously hampered by the fact that office email was down. But it seemed that we were not going to have enough people to play. Of course, we didn't get around to asking everyone, and it's possible that there may just squeak by enough players to make a team, in which case, I would be one of them. So I would need my sneakers. But I don't really feel like carrying them in if I don't need them either. Though it's obviously the correct solution. I'm just lazy.

C is bringing in a phone today that I may buy off her boyfriend. I don't really need a new phone, but I love the Motorola Razr and this one is basically unused and 1/3 the retail price. And it IS my birthday in less than a weeks time. I currently have a Motorola phone, which I like. So it won't be a difficult transition to the new phone. At any rate, I'm allowed to 'test drive' it over the weekend and pay for it on Monday if I love it. I might as well write the check today.

I did end up working at home last night, and making lamb stew. The lamb was good, though I did burn it a bit. I still can't quite get my head around oven temperature conversions and the whole fan setting thing. Still, I caught it early enough that it wasn't ruined, and it was awfully tasty. I ended up working until almost midnight and not getting nearly as far as I would have liked. Without explaining too much, the reason my work is taking a long time is because the person who drew the original drawings that I am building the model off of was not as precise as they should have been with measurements. This may look fine in a plan, but when you are building a 3D model, these miniscule differences fuck up the whole thing. So I spent ages trying to figure out where the problems were and trying to fix them. Even though I worked and worked, I probably did just under half the work I had anticipated doing by the end of yesterday, so that was crappy. Hopefully today will go better. If the office computers are fixed.

I had a really strange dream last night that woke me up at half five this morning. It involved Mr.Aloof. It was very odd. As usual, I didn't write it down in time and so now the bits I remember now don't make any sense together, though I know it all connected in the dream. I did finally open my eyes around half six and wrote in my paper journal instead. Then I did a crossword for a while.

I have the feeling today is going to be an exceptionally long day.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm not familiar with the phrase either actually.

Are you quite sure you didn't make it up?

=)

Kopaylopa said...

While I do make up lots of things.... I can't take credit for such a stellar play on words. It's definitly real. :)

Hump Day!