24 September 2005

Grey Hair

When I was younger I thought that I would enjoy getting grey hairs. I thought it was sort of fascinating how hair would just change on a person. I thought this until I found my first grey hair on my head at age 18. It was really just the one hair, and I picked it out immediately. And of course it grew back in exactly the same spot.

Years passed and there were a few more grey hairs sprinkled around my head. I didn't take too much notice of them. A few years back I started coloring my hair. More because it was fun and I liked playing with the color- not that I was 'trying to cover my grey'. I tend to color my hair as often as I get it cut which works out to being twice or three times a year.

About three years back I had a day at a boring temp job where I decided to pick out every grey hair I could find on my head. I got past twenty and then stopped, realizing that they would stick out even more when they were short and growing back. Perhaps this was when I first became wary of my obviously changing head.

So imagine my current surprise as my hair approaches cut and color time to see just how many grey hairs I have. I don't have a handful or a set number, I have a fucking percentage. I think my hair is quite possibly 3% grey. And I'm appalled.

How can this be??

I'm not old. I don't even feel like an adult most of the time. How the hell is my hair turning me into some granny before I've really lived?

Most people who know me will know that I am not vain about most things. I don't wear make-up, I don't always put huge efforts into my clothing. I tend to stick with comfortable over stylish. But this hair thing, it's really freaking me out. It just doesn't go with my image of myself.

Clearly this means I'll have to start coloring my hair more regularly. But one day, I will not color it, and where I used to have dark curls I will only see white. And honestly, where once upon a time I thought it would be cool and mature and adult, and that I wouldn't be that woman who freaks out about her hair, this really, really disturbs me for some reason.

No comments: