17 September 2005

Do I Have To?

What day is today? I feel like it's Sunday but really it's only Saturday. I'm tired and want to go curl up in bed, but I have an end of summer barbecue to attend in about an hour. So I'm passing time by surfing the web, trying to muster up energy to be sociable.

Yesterday we had drinks in the office after work, which is always good. This was a nice pre-evening segway into heading to a club in Notting Hill for another friend N's 30th birthday party. Of course, getting from Dalston to Notting Hill is not the most convenient. Luckily there were about nine of us going from the office, so we could all share the burden.

The club was good, and S managed to show up which was nice. He brought this guy he works with randomly, which was alright. T thought he was cute. I just thought he was young. Well, and not my type really. I do like them older...

Anyway, S and M ended up leaving to go try and find a club in Camden and we (me, T, and L- who all live back Hackney ways) ended up staying past the last train and until about 1 when they started trying to kick everyone out. It took another half hour to get out of the club, and we headed for the first of two night buses. We passed a kebab shop, and I swear, all I wanted was a kebab. But I was kebab-blocked by T and L for some reason, even though on the bus they kept tormenting me by talking about how a kebab would have been nice. While waiting for the bus, L decided she really had to pee. This is difficult to do on a city street at 1:30 in the morning. So she ended up ducking around the corner to a side street and ducking between two cars. It was really funny later, when another coworker of ours, E passed with her ride and the turned the corner to head to the cars that L peed by. Since her friend denied us a ride, I really sort of hope L peed on his car. But probably not.

Anyway, I think we had just gotten on the second bus when S and M called me saying they were basically at my house looking to crash for the night. S always tells me that I don't go out and party enough, but didn't see that as a good excuse (my taking his advice) as to why I wasn't there to let him in from the cold. Of course C and D were asleep up in C's room- but stupid doctor schedule, she's working all day today and tomorrow so I said really it wouldn't be okay to wake them up.

So I got home around 2:30- S and M were waiting. I managed to get them all set up on the fold out sofa, and I went to bed. Of course I couldn't get to sleep. I finally got to sleep and awoke to a very strange noise.

Even though it's been cold, I tend to sleep with my window open. And the way acoustics work on my street, even though I am on the third floor, the softest sounds tend to transmit right up to my room. So I hear what sounds like a woman crying or screaming or being attacked. I wasn't really sure. But as alertness came to me, what I determined is that it was my new neighbors having sex. And the woman sounded demented. Like... seriously demented. I mean, who the hell sounds like that? And I think she just kept saying 'no' in a really horrible screechy wavering voice repeatedly. Or honestly, maybe I was just dreaming.

S came into my room around 9. I was awake, but wasn't feeling up to moving. According to him, everyone else had left and he'd been up since seven. So I got myself moving and have been moving ever since. Went to Broadway Market. Went from there to Bethnal Green so S could register with estate agents as he's looking to buy a place. And we managed to see a church that was open as part of London Open House. From there we took the tube to Belsize Park to go see the Isokon Flats as part of Open House which was fabulous. And from there wandered around South End Green a bit before heading towards Kentish Town. I ditched S at the Gospel Oak station and took the Silverlink back to Hackney Central and now I'm passing time.

I seriously don't think I'm going to stay at this barbecue very long.

No comments: