01 July 2007

Unbelieveable

Yesterday was a pretty eventful day. I think this comes on the tail end of a pretty eventful week, though looking forward, all I see is more mayhem in the next couple of weeks so maybe it's just a crazy time of year. Lets start with my biggest news first, after all, it's also the best.

Yesterday D was over picking up some last pieces, dropping of keys, and collecting his deposit when I got a call from my mom on my mobile. The first thing I noticed is that the call was coming in from her cell phone. This immediately freaked me out. "Hi, what's wrong?" is how I believe I answered the phone.

"Are you sitting down?" she said.

"No," I said becoming increasingly concerned, "whats wrong??"

"Sit down." she said, I could hear that she was outdoors somewhere, I sat on my stairs.

"Fine, I'm sitting now tell me what's going on." I was thinking the absolute worst. I should add to the story that my mother went into have a pre-cancerous melanoma removed on Friday, so I'm figuring this all has something to do with what should have been a simple outpatient procedure. D was watching all of this play out intently with a concerned look upon his face.

At this point my mother starts talking about how she got a letter about exam results and how there was an anomaly and that the results had to be reviewed. All of this time I'm still thinking she's talking about her medical stuff going on until she said something else that threw off my thinking. "Wait, what did you say?"

"You passed your exam! You're done! You're an architect!"

...

"Oh my god!" was pretty much all I could say, and I think I said it repeatedly as in "Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god!"

And that's still pretty much all I can come up with when I think about the summation of all my hard work and money spent and time. I'm really happy that I didn't book my flights last week (or reschedule the exam) like I'd been planning to. Of course I'm happy. I've finally achieved this long standing goal! Of course now I'm vaguely considering my next course of study. There's always LEED certification or AICP certification, though I'm more dubious about the second. SA did it, but he's the golden boy. I'd probably get called out as having the wrong sort of experience. I think LEED would be a pretty good call. But really what I think I'm going to do is study nothing for a little bit and just enjoy this. I'm sure my over-achiever nature will kick in all on it's own at some point.

So there's the big news.

Other exciting news is that I bought new carpet yesterday as well. I have the dates set and everything, so the moth carpet is going to go away and brand new 100% polyester carpet is coming in its place. No more dark blue nasty carpet, instead I'm going to have a nice sandy colored soft and comfortable carpet. This means however, that there is a couple of weeks here where things are going to be a mess. All of my things need to move downstairs so that the upstairs bedrooms are empty except for the large furniture pieces. And because I have the moths, they're giving me a week between removal and installation to do some fumigation. So what this really means is that for about two weeks, my life is going to be a complete and utter mess. But at the end of it, I will have new lovely carpet and no more fucking moths. I'm probably almost as excited about this as I am about the exam thing. Well okay, maybe not, but I'm pretty fucking excited. I don't think I can express how much I detest my current carpet.

In other news, my week since getting back from Berlin was all sorts of crazy. I went to Scunthorpe for a presentation for work. That was an interesting adventure as our trip took us through Doncaster and all the flooding. I also got to do some of the presenting (which is only because my boss didn't really care if we got the project or not, but still, it was a good experience). There was a bit of a hiccup on Thursday as I was supposed to go down to see Mr.Aloof and toy and got canceled on which pretty much erupted into all sorts of ugliness, so that's still being worked out, but I think I have a handle on it. Or at least, I know what I'm going to do if this is the start of a pattern and not just a one off occurrence. So really I need to wait and see about that.

This upcoming week is filled with a scan tomorrow for my cyst. A walking tour of Hampstead Garden Suburbs for inspiration. A meeting with the council for another project I'm working on. The office summer party. A possible visit from Mr. Aloof (but I'm not holding my breath). And next weekend both SH and C are going to be in town and there's T's birthday party to go to, so it should all be lots of fun but also lots of crazy rushing about and going from the next thing to the next!

So it might be a bit before I update again. Not sure how it's all going to squeeze in. Lets just hope the weather improves!

No comments: