01 July 2007

Smoking Ban Soapbox

I've been reading a lot of posts on IC where people are yammering on about the smoking ban and quite a few yammering on about how it's infringing on their civil liberties. Well, I'm not really in the mood to argue with the people there but I can say whatever I want on my own blog. So here we go.

What the fuck is wrong with people? Like smoking is a civil liberty? What about my fucking civil liberty? And anyway, you aren't being told you can't smoke, you're being told you can't smoke where people who don't smoke might go. Total fucking idiots.

I think it's also important to look at any of the multitudes of other places where smoking bans have been in effect for long periods of time and listen to how happy everyone is with it. No one seems to have trouble not smoking in public places and even smokers agree that the atmosphere of many places is greatly improved by the lack of smoke.

While I'm sure there are exceptions to this, it's not exceptions that one should make laws based on. And it's not a secret that inhaling smoke isn't good for you, and inhaling second hand smoke is equally not good for you. See, I don't really care what you choose to do to yourself, though I think that instead of paying ex smokers millions of dollars in damages that tobacco companies should instead be made to pay towards medical bills of the masses or medical research towards smoking related illnesses. But you know, that would be admitting that your product eventually kills people even if everyone knows it anyway.

But back to these people. Seriously, what is wrong with them? And if people in the UK really want to get on a soapbox about their civil liberties, how about all the CCTV everywhere and ID cards and all sorts of other stuff that seems highly intrusive to me as an American.

At any rate, I really hope I don't come across anyone who voices similar opinions to the ones I've been reading. I'd just have to point out how stupid they are and hope they smoke a lot more a lot quicker so they can just die sooner.

No comments: