28 July 2007

Catching Up

Well I feel like it's been a while since I've caught up things here. On the one hand, there isn't anything particularly interesting to write about, but then there has been loads of stuff going on or coming up that I could write about. Funny how that works.

Earlier this week I finally managed to get over to my local sexual health clinic to get a full check-up. In truth this is something I've been meaning to do since March. But then I was away, and then life was in the way, and also for a chunk of that time I had marks on me that I didn't feel like explaining to a doctor or answering questions about. Even though I got there early and was tenth in line, it still took me almost four hours to get seen and be finished. The most exciting part of this experience was that the nurse couldn't manage to take my blood. First she fished around in my right arm with no luck. Then she fished around in my left arm with no luck (and which has left an ugly bruise). Then she decided to use a butterfly needle to draw blood out of the back of my hand which was sort of icky and while it did work resulted in my blood being dripped down my fingers and onto the floor.

I've had half my results back so far, all clean. The rest will come by next Monday. Of course. I don't really expect any less. I always lean towards safe, and I guess it just doesn't worry me that much. It all made me think of a pretty good post by Siege which I think you can read here.

Work has been pretty busy. I gave a CPD presentation with one of our consultants yesterday at lunch about community consultation and involvement. So this took a large part of my week- putting the powerpoint together. I think it went alright though, so that was good. I always get a little bit nervous when I have to give presentation, but it was pretty easy with S who also talked a bunch. We made it a less formal sort of chatty thing I think, so that was all good.

But other things at work haven't been as nice. I brought work home this weekend in fact because I've just been so busy, and I never really like working on my weekends. Also, I've had more unpleasant meetings with J who is project manager for a project I've been working on. The meeting was so very unpleasant that he ended up calling me last night to apologize for his behavior in the meeting. This is the second time this has happened. I appreciate that he has the presence to own up to it after the fact, but I sort of wish it would stop happening to begin with. It gave me a headache.

On Thursday I had lunch with a headhunter. He's been chasing me for probably over a year at this point and decided to push things forward by coming to my work neighborhood and meet for lunch. He managed to extract the promise from me that I'd finish the second page of my CV by the end of next week. Obviously he's keen to get me to move because he'll get commission. I made it very clear that I would only move for the right job- which means the right type of work (that I can feel good about) and a good work environment which are the two big things that my current job has going for it. In the meantime, I should hear back from my office in a week or two about the result of all the salary reviews. If they match what I asked for, I think I'll stay for a year, but if they don't, I think I need to start taking interviews.

Last bit of news is that I've decided to break the current engagement with Mr.Aloof and toy. There's just too much crap going on in their lives, and there isn't any time to meet up. The deal that I made with myself was that as long as I was getting something out of it, I was happy to put up with the things I was worried about. But I'm not getting anything out of it right now, and that seems unlikely to change for two to four weeks. So I just said that I understood, and I wasn't angry, but I needed to look out for me and my interests. So I'm back to perusing the dating market with some degree of seriousness. And I guess we'll see what happens. If I meet someone, even through bdsm circles, it is unlikely that they would want to join up with Mr.Aloof and toy or would be happy with my continued involvement with them, and I understand that. If that's what happens, that it's what happens. If I don't find anyone of interest or note by the time Mr.Aloof and toy do have time and want to pick up, then I guess I'll just have to see how things are then. But I can't put my life on hold for.... potential fun with no future.

I think that's most of the updates. I'm still trying to put my house together from having moved everything for the new carpet which is super fabulous and wonderful. I'm hoping to get a bunch of that done this weekend, but who knows. I also want to go to the gym, see SP, go with T to Ikea, and I have to do this work.

No comments: