18 April 2006

V=(ZIC/Rw)W

This is the main thing on my mind for tomorrow. Along with some other formulas that will make no sense to anyone reading this. I've been to DC and back now. My dad had some fucked up set-up with no internet in his 'new' apartment that he's lived in since February. It's only set up in the 'old' apartment. So I didn't really have internet access like I had hoped.

And I'm not sure what I would have written about. On the train ride down to DC I wrote 3 pages in my paper journal. Something I haven't done since December. And I liked it. There are things I want to say, in a journal sense, that I can't say here. This blog has taken over my usual journal writing tendencies. But there are things I'm leaving out and not saying and they have built up now and so I need to address them. With myself. But maybe not with the blog world. I have an idea though, so watch this space maybe.

Oh, and I'm not going to not blog, so no panic for the handful of you who read this. I'm just saying I guess, my deep thoughts are elsewhere.

I've been taking lots of pictures here and there and so may post some of the American wasteland when I return.

6 comments:

moi said...

Can I read your journal then?

pllllleeeeeeeaaaase......

;0)

X said...

V=(ZIC/Rw)W

Please explain this. Even if I don't understand it, I'll feel good knowing that I tried.

---X

moi said...

V is the design base shear;
Zis the seismic zone factor;
I is the seismic importance factor;
Cis a coefficient that accounts for the effect of periodic modes of vibration, damping and soil quality on a building's response to typical seismic ground motion;
Rw is a lateral-force-resisting system coefficient.
W is the seismic dead load;

To summise:
It doesn't fucking matter we don't get earthquakes over here!

*smirk*

Kopaylopa said...

Why you little internet GEEK. But I don't have to look it up on wikipedia. To expand, the force that acts on a building during an earthquake is a 'side to side' or 'lateral' force as opposed to regularly considered building forces that work with gravity (dead loads, live loads, etc). So the equation above lets you know the design shear force at the base of a building. The exam I took this morning was called 'Lateral Forces' and basically was all about side to side forces which include earthquake, wind, and retaining walls.

The seismic zone factor is based on a map which has been charted taking into account fault lines and the frequency and magnitutude of past earthquakes.

The importance factor bumps up the criteria or design load for critical buildings like hospitals, fire stations, hazardous material storage facilities, etc.

The C coefficient is made of two additional formulas, C=1.25(S)/Tto the 2/3 power where T=Coefficient of structural sytem * building height to the 3/4power (this equation represents the building period) . S represents the soil characteristics, you get a better number the more solid yoru soil and a wore number the more sandy or clay-like (and therefor unstable) the soil.

Rw is an additional coefficiant representing the building structural system, it is different from the coefficient in the previous paragraph.

The equation to this point gives you what percentage of the building's mass will be subject to acceleration. In a way, this is a specific architectural permutation of the very simple formula F=ma (force=mass*acceleration).

And for the record, I pretty much didn't even need this fucking formula for my exam. Most of the equations were in regards to wind loads and overturning and I did terribly on those. Shame it wasn't on earthquake. Mother fuckers.

-K

X said...

I actually got some of that. Hooray for A-level Physics, and thank you tlsd and Kay.

---X

moi said...

Ah... A-level physics... sigh... those where the days...