19 April 2006

One-Wing

Part of the make-up of my personality is a fairly strong sense of right and wrong. Not all the time, only some of the time. But when that side of my self is tapped into, it is just as strong and vehement and total as anything. I think in absolutes, black&white, and see clear paths. Seeing the paths and following the paths are not the same. So I am not a one, I am a nine- I understand options and choices and flows. But I add to that a belief in which way is the right way and which way is the wrong way. If someone chooses the wrong way, then at the very least, they should acknowledge that they are making that choice for what it is, and not try to play it off as somehow being better, because that just annoys me.

Usually I find that my one-wing is most often engaged when it comes to behavior towards other people. This is something I'm extremely sensitive about. I don't like when people are left out, or excluded, even when I am the one doing it, I tend to feel bad. I will gossip like no ones business about people, but I'm not often mean about the people I gossip about unless a) I really, really don't like them or b) they have acted in a way that I find so abhorrent, I have no option but to speak badly about them because they deserve it.

Problems for me come up however, because, believe it or not, I don't always, or for that matter often, express what I'm feeling about situations or people. Because I know, from past experience that the way I see things can be pretty harsh. And most people don't like to be so exposed or laid out. I have the capacity to verbalize things that other people wouldn't dream of, and from time to time I find I have to keep a very tight rein on it. There are lots of times when this skill is useful, even cherished, by my good friends. They know I won't feed them bullshit. But the hand that gives is the hand that takes away, my friends sometimes want me to bullshit and get frustrated when I won't. But I don't really care, because I would never be dishonest towards a friend and I would never want a friend to be dishonest with me. I can think of very few obscure situations where I would lie to someone about something important, and most involve terminal illness or children.

Out of all the things I don't like about myself, my personality, what I view as my identity, has never been something I wanted to change. I have never had a shortage of friends- not acquaintances, but good close friends who I could rely on as they could rely on me. And really, I wouldn't trade that for anything.

8 comments:

moi said...

Ah but as an enlightened one you understand that your black & white may not be the same as someone else's. That your right way is not the right way for someone else.

After all I'm a one, without a wing. Self righteousness is only a problem if you don't recognise it as such. It relates to your opinions and your judgement, your self.

Why on earth would you want to change your personality? FGS there is no need. May we be saved from a world of bland carbon copies and may the imperfect rule the world.

moi said...

PS: Are you coming back soon.... I miiiiiiissssss you...

:0(

Kopaylopa said...

We do not live in a chaotic society. There are absolutely agreed upon standards for behavior which is why we have laws and courts and morals and religion and all kinds of things. Ergo, don't be so black and white Ms.1. ;)

sunday... i'm back on sunday.....

-K

Anonymous said...

please hurry back to Blighty, London and Hackney (in that order!). I don't think I have understood a word since you went back to the States.

moi said...

But laws, courts, morals and religions are different depending on where you are in the world. What is black & white in one country is not for another.

I disagree there are NO agreed standards for behaviour and morals this is why there are so many wars and so much death and suffering across the planet.

Sunday? Cool, want me to bring dinner around or will it be late?

Kopaylopa said...

changing man- apparently it takes a while for the influence to wear off, but i'll let you be the judge. nice photo of the trees by the town hall by the way. i love those trees.

tlsd- a) but there are tacit agreed upon standards. the golden rule is a good example. while many people choose to live their lives not following it, if everyone did that, there would be complete chaos, and there is not, so there are tacit rules that govern all behavior. and that makes sense actually, because it's not a human trait, it's a systematic or biological trait, of which you can see many examples in other species.
b)as long as my flight is on time i should get in around noon on sunday. you can come by for dinner, sounds good. i'll try to remember to text you when the plane lands, if i'm not too drugged up.

kybruno said...

would you golden rule be a good idea with someone that likes to be tied up and whipped anyway?

Kopaylopa said...

Ky- Well, I think that depends very much on which aspect of that you assume as 'the treatment'. If you assume the physical act alone, then no, probably not, but if you assume what the physical act provides or represents, then yes. Simple equations are never REALLY that simple.....

-K