18 June 2008

And Back Again

So blogging is a bit down with my mother around. Since the only time we really have to spend together is in the evenings, and that's usually when I'm online, and everything is either blocked or monitored at work, well, not so many options for getting anything useful done online. Really, if I'm doing anything, I should be writing an article.

But I only have about fifteen minutes right now, and V is in my room. But wait, lets back up. Because I'm about to say something that won't make sense in context.

On Monday at work, having gotten back from York on Sunday (and York was lovely, but perhaps more on that later, or perhaps not), I hear that I'm supposed to go to Hartlepool for work on Wednesday night and get back late Thursday. Well, this is unreasonable- mainly because my mom is here. But also because this was a possibility perhaps three weeks ago and I wasn't supposed to go, so this last minute thing is a bit shitty. So on Tuesday I managed to work out that I would go on Wednesday, but I'll leave earlier than everyone else on Thursday so as to make dinner with my mom (which is also planned with S & F). So this morning, I was off to Hartlepool. Which meant taking the freaking train to York and then switching for another train and then another one after that.

Apparently I'm not that far from Newcastle or Durham but really what this means is I have no fucking clue where I am except it's north and it's east and there are seagulls and a port (well, our project is to look at the potential future development of the port, so that makes sense).

Luckily the train to York has wifi and also so does this very nice hotel. So I brought my computer along, even though that stranded my mother at home with no computer at all. But I already went an entire weekend without my computer, it's hard to ask me to do more. And this also gives me some time to actually do things online, which is nice.

At any rate, that's my exciting news at the moment. I'm in Hartlepool. It's amazing where your job can take you!

2 comments:

X said...

Only really been to Hartlepool once because its teaching hospital is one of the ones in our catchment area. It's a bit of a drab town, but I reckon you'd have loved Durham if you'd gone to visit. It's got the whole 12th century town thing going on with the castles and the cathedrals and the cobbled streets and the 5-foot front doors on houses.

---X

Kopaylopa said...

X- You did cross my mind of course, being the only association I think I have with Durham. The town is perhaps a bit drab, but the sea was beautiful. Too bad I was working or I would have happily spent all day picking at rocks and things. As for five foot doors... make sure you don't finish your medical degree with a stooped back!

-K