22 June 2008

Adventures in Baking

Today was a busy day. First, I had to get up at seven because my mom wanted to be on a bus by eight to make sure she got to the airport on time. She had to go another route from how she originally planned because there were some sort of works at London Bridge. I'm hoping everything went smoothly. Once she left my house, she didn't have a phone anymore, so one can only hope. I don't know what time she'll actually get home, but I'll try calling in a bit.

So because my mom was here, I had put off picking up some pre ordered herbs for Glastonbury. But since it's coming up soon, there was no time like today. So I saw my mom off to the station, then I headed to Stoke Newington to meet a friend who had the goods. We had some breakfast and I picked up what I needed, then I headed back my way and to Tescos to get the missing ingredients.

Apparently it's all about cooking the butter. This is what I heard from everyone and what my recipe said. So I went about cooking it all in the butter, not sure what I was looking for, not sure what the real procedure was. And I mixed up the brownie mix, then it all went together and into the pan. S came over about halfway through this process.

So of course, before I took these things anywhere, we had to do some quality control. The recipe I had said that you could cut the pan into 32 pieces for a guaranteed intense sensation, but you could cut them in half again- for 64 pieces, for a milder run of things. We decided to go for the 64ths, and then figured if we wanted more, we could have another 64th and see how it went.

Suffice to say, another 64th was not at all necessary. S and I had a very enjoyable afternoon munching away on strawberries and chocolate pretzels and cheese and chips. I've cut and wrapped the rest of my tiny parcels. Frozen 36 in a bag to take with and have the rest to store in my freezer at home.

Baking success!

No comments: