12 August 2008

Predicting the Weather

I will never get used to the fact that British meteorologists cannot predict the weather to save their lives. I know, it's been explained to me about gulf streams and island conditions. So I am sympathetic- to a point. But I come from a place where they can pretty much tell you the exact temperature in Fahrenheit degrees give or take a couple. They can tell you almost exactly at what time the rain is going to start falling, and when it will stop. They can also tell you when the temperature is going to plummet.

Not so here. It's sunny outside and I get an email from my friend in Highgate who tells me it's pouring out her window. It's so hot you're sweating and then a cloud comes along to block the sun and you instantly need a jacket or shawl.

This is all summed up for me in the expression 'to talk about the weather' which in the states pretty much means to talk about nothing whereas here, it can provide an endless source of conversation that also creates common ground between strangers. It's a completely different cultural expression and interest.

At any rate, the reason that the weather is on my mind is I had the stupid idea of thinking that a picnic in the park would make a lovely birthday celebration. I mean, on paper it's all good- London Fields by Broadway Market. That way everyone can run to the market to pick up nibbles and drinks and those who want can get and those who don't, don't have to. This was all because I couldn't face another house party twice in one year. Really, once a year is all I can handle. I love my house parties but they are an awful lot of work (and expense). So I didn't really want to do another- that wouldn't be 'fun' and after all, it is my birthday!!

But now I've become a weather watching freak because if it looks like the weather is going to be crappy, I need to last minute organize some other alternative. This will likely mean calling a pub to reserve an area- but we're also talking prime weekend time and last minute. Never a good combination. So we'll see. Pray to the weather gods to be nice to me. After all, it's been a really shitty year, and I think I deserve some sunshine.

No comments: