09 May 2008

Mobile Love

So I've been looking in the window of 2 Columbia Road frequently as I often am on a bus that goes past it. And a while ago I saw this pretty interesting chair in the window and a 'sale' sign. I thought I liked the chair, and tried to spot the price. I thought I saw a tag that read 900 pounds. Now, for a used designer chair this seemed reasonable. And I kept getting on buses that kept going past the shop and I kept looking at this chair.

Eventually at some point I was actually out on the street walking past the shop, so I got a better look at the chair and when I saw the detail of how the chair is put together, I swooned and immediately fell in love. But I think I was in a hurry, or perhaps the shop was closed. Either way, this was all in passing and I went about my business while thoughts of this chair wormed it's way into a shadowed corner of my heart.

Now there is lots of furniture that I admire, but I have never fallen so completely for a chair. And footstool. Did I mention the footstool? At any rate, I have seen many designer chairs and of course being of the architect persuasion, have friends with all sorts of designer chairs. I've even been to Vitra for crying out loud. But never has a chair taken ahold of my imagination so completely.

So when I was out the other day with T, and we happened to be in the area, and I was feeling slightly extravagant, i suggested we go to the shop to check out the chair in person. And in the back of my mind I thought maybe, just maybe, I could spend that much money on a chair that I loved.

So imagine my surprise, to find that the chair and ottoman in question was not nine hundred pounds. More like, twenty-five hundred pounds. Which is a wee out of my price range. Worse yet, I've now looked up this chair on the internet only to find that the price, although a bit high, is closer to the going rate than what I thought I could get it for. And apparently you can buy it new as well, for about twice that cost again. So for the moment, I am going to covet this chair from afar. But knowing just how it has lodged itself into my heart, I feel somewhat certain that one day, perhaps far in the future, this chair will be mine. Oh yes.

May I present the "Ari Chair" by Arne Norell. *sigh*

No comments: