04 December 2006

If You Can't Stand the Heat

If only I was so lucky. At the moment it is Monday and I am at home. I got up on time, convinced I had gone to work yesterday when clearly I hadn't. Got myself up and went to take a shower. Usually it takes a while for the hot water to work its way through the pipes, so I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And then I started to think, you know, the water is sort of warm, but it's not hot. And I've been waiting a really long time. I managed to sort of wash up a bit, then I turned the shower off and tried the hot water tap in the sink. Again, warm but not hot. I knew something was up.

Went down to the kitchen and ran the hot tap there. Usually with all this hot water going, you can hear the boiler click on. But there was no noise. Then I tried to look in the little window where you can normally see the pilot light, no flame. Tried to re-set it, no luck.

So now I've called a company to come out and look at it. Angry and worried that I'm going to be ripped off by some charlatan. Nothing I can do about it though really. And I just looked outside only to find that all the streets are cordoned off. I yelled out to the police-woman who was running tape across the road in front of my house to ask what was going on. I thought maybe if it was a larger gas or electricity problem that would help explain things.

She told me there's a suspect package on a bus. I assume at Hackney Central because I can't see any bus from my window. How are the boiler people going to get here now? Fuck.

1 comment:

Louche said...

So what happened next?