02 March 2007

Moving the Debate

So few people actually read this blog (which coincidentally doesn't bother me at all), so I find it interesting when someone appears from a search and starts a discussion. There has been one going on here- not that I'm particularly surprised, since I know what I said was relatively controversial or offensive to a vast segment of peoples, but more that someone has the interest to keep coming back.

There's nothing I like better than a good debate.

Still, such particular passion to a singular idea makes me feel quite mischievous, and I have as of so far suppressed the bubbling desire to create such posts as "Foie Gras is Yummy" and "I Like Veal". But the truth is foie gras is yummy, and so is veal. And honestly, most things are not black and white.

It seems interesting that we are so far removed from our natural state, that the idea of killing things sends loads of people into a tizzy. What is so entirely awful about killing things? Lots of things die daily from accidents and carelessness. It seems better to me that death have a purpose than be accidental. Our cultural obsession with 'cleanliness' and 'purity' seems a curious byproduct of civilization. Those who no longer live off the land still receive their sustenance from it, but have in many ways lost the ability to feed themselves. They rely on the down and dirty acts of others to get by and in exchange provide the same culture with work which would otherwise not be possible if one was tending a farm starting at 4am.

Still, appreciating one's symbiotic position in the chain is a far cry from getting moralistic about the value of each persons job or role. I think what bothers me really about all such discussions is that I really don't care what choices you may make for yourself, but under no circumstances should anyone get on the moral high horse about the choice they make. Because it's not that simple, it's not that obvious, and it's not that clear. You have the make the choice that's right for you. What you feel the most comfortable with, what you can be satisfied with in yourself. But the value of that decision should be internal. Not justified through exhibiting a superiority complex towards anyone else and the decisions they make.

3 comments:

X said...

I find food is tastier if it once had a cute face.

---X

Joe said...

When I was a young idealistic thing I went vegetarian, on mral grounds.
I went back to being a carnivore (after four years) because I liked the taste of meat.
So much for morals.

Kopaylopa said...

X- You're so right. Kittens are very tasty.

Joe- But it would be morally wrong to deny yourself something that tasted good, no?

-K