05 September 2008

Not Really Working

How can you blame me though? It's the one day that I'm at work and it's Friday for crying out loud. This was all badly planned I tell you. Silly, silly me.

So yes, here I am at work, doing pretty much nothing all morning. It's impressive actually, how little I can do sometimes. I got up extra early and went to therapy this morning at 8am. This was to make up for the appointment I missed while being away. Most therapists have this system where they can give you notice that they will be away for some reason and you miss your appointment and you aren't charged for it. However, most therapists will charge you for a missed appointment even if you know you are going to be out of town or on vacation months in advance. This pisses me off generally- I mean, I understand in principle but I think you should be given at least one flex day for just this circumstance. At any rate, I knew I'd miss therapy but I asked if there was another time I could slot in instead. And there was, it just happened to be at 8am this morning. Still, call it the stingy side of me, I'm glad I'm not being made to pay for something I'm not getting the benefit from. So that's alright. Also, I think people just don't ask their therapists if there is an alternate time slot. My theory being, she could see someone while I'm away in my slot- so why not? And it worked.

So back from the family visit. Overall it was alright. Nothing hugely exceptional or of note that I haven't already covered like my driving a car or my dad's comment. It's not quite the same as when I go to visit my mom. This side of my family is more sedentary, and also cheap. So we never really do anything because it requires moving from the sofa and likely spending money. But it was relaxing. And I also got to play Guitar Hero 3 which I have never played before and was instantly reasonable at (at least on the easy setting). So that was tons of fun.

I went to see my grandmother who lives in a home. She's completely senile at this point and even though we were only there for like ten minutes it was tremendously depressing. Not just that the shell that was my grandmother was so depressing, but the amount of people living in this place, multiplied by how many places like that there are state-wide, nationally, globally.... this is what happens when you get old?? My god! It's seriously, seriously fucking depressing. I know she's being taken care of, but I can't see how it resembles anything like a life. Meanwhile my father and his two brothers are handling it in their own unique ways of 'bad' which doesn't really help either.

My family bothered me more than they usually do this visit- which isn't really about them acting any differently than they usually do, but for some reason it grated on me more than it normally does and I'm not really sure why. I'm happy to be home, though it's going to take a day or three to settle back into 'my space'- at the moment I still feel detached from everything.

But the weekend should be good- I'm dropping off my bike to get serviced, I'm going to the market, I'm going with T to look at a bike for her, the rope guy has reappeared, and on Monday I'm taking SCUBA lessons. That's right, I said SCUBA. It's something I've wanted to do forever, and S is going on vacation with her partner who dives so she is getting it done and I'm going to get it done with her. Except while she does her four 'test dives' in someplace warm, I'll be on a bus to somewhere by Heathrow, but that's alright. I'm looking forward to something different and new. Although really, I need to be taking this stupid Life in the UK test asap.

As per usual, when it rains it pours. Still, welcome home me! It's good to be back.

2 comments:

Clair said...

Welcome baaaack!!

Kopaylopa said...

clair- Yay! We should plan a dinner. Your place or mine?

-K