25 February 2008

Tamagoyaki

Monday night at home. What a relief! This weekend I wanted to stay at home and do nothing, but I ended up out and about. Which was okay, because the things I did were not overly taxing and fun and social, but I think I still would have liked to have just sat in my flat and done absolutely nothing.

Today at work I got a delivery of a package of purchases from a Japanese shop. Since I haven't been at home much, I've been craving it, and craving doing some cooking. Of course when I crave cooking, it is usually Asian influenced. So I've been pining for a Japanese omelet pan for ages- and finally decided I had to buy one. So buy one I did. Of course, when you are making a purchase from the Japanese shop, it makes sense to pick up a couple of other things, so I did of course. But what I was most excited about was my pan.

It was smaller than I thought it was going to be. Though it's the perfect size for just me, or for me and one other person. And even if there were more people, I could just make more than one omelet. To make one properly you are supposed to roll it with chopsticks. I attempted this, but it was not easy. Obviously more practice will be needed. The recipe I had also said you are supposed to microwave the mirin- probably to cook the alcohol out of it. But the first one I think I cooked too much because it caramelized. I didn't know mirin could even do that. So lessons all around tonight.

But the best lesson of all was that it was super tasty! And I have the leftovers of my dinner as a yummy little bento box for tomorrow. I've been bringing my lunch more frequently lately to work. I suppose this is good for me. I don't really mind when it's a bento box. It just takes effort to put together that I don't always have.

In other news, there's a get together of people tomorrow night. Wednesday night I should be home. Thursday night I have tentative plans to meet up with the other couple, and Friday some of us are going to Rasa for some delicious Indian food. Then this weekend I have plans on Sunday- and I may or may not have plans on Saturday as well. I can't remember. No rest for the wicked!

No comments: