30 October 2006

Battersea Bicycle Decay

Yesterday I had a very entertaining day with SA. We went to the Serpentine Gallery: China Power Station: Part 1 which, funny enough, was held at the power station. Although we had booked tickets in advance, we still had to wait in line because the British, while very good at waiting in lines are very bad at organizing their lines. There were people who had pre-booked and people who wanted to buy tickets all jumbled up together. But it didn't take too long, and we were inside.
Once inside we headed to the Toyo Ito pavilion from 2002 which had been relocated to the power station site a while back. I remember seeing it on the bus journey from Vauxhall to Mr.Aloof's warehouse thinking it was a really funky bit of architecture as it lights up all different colors with some clever LED lighting as well. At any rate, for this exhibition it had been turned into a dim sum tea house so SA and I had a very yummy lunch.One of the best bits about the exhibit was that they had bicycles you could ride between the things. So when we walked in we got bikes and cycled the short jaunt to the tea house, then we cycled back to get in line for the main exhibit in the station itself.
Waiting in line there was ample opportunity to get a good look at the decaying station. It's amazing how much it's fallen into complete ruin in such a short time. It really tells you how much maintenance a building of that size continuously requires to stay viable, and how quickly it can all fall apart.
Once inside you could get a very good look at the ruined and decaying bits before heading into the dark office floors to see the exhibit which was okay, but paled in comparison to the sheer dark magnitude of the building itself.I wish I was a better photographer. I would have spent an entire day making photographs of the moment. I wish I had the place to myself for an entire week with nudes scattered amongst the debris. It was all so surreal. It was fantastic.
I'm so glad I went.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LLLOOOOOOK its YOU!!!!!
(you now that already, I know)
;0p

Kopaylopa said...

hahaha.

-K