24 November 2006

No Turkey

It occured to me yesterday, as I stood at the Gomez concert, exactly how disassociated I've become from my homeland. Because I wasn't really missing Thanksgiving at all. To be fair, this has as much to do with my Aunt passing away seven years ago as much as it does not being inundated with media reminders about the holiday.

In general I like Thanksgiving, and have very pleasant memories of family time spent together. A truly 'American' holiday- it's non-religious, and for everyone. I'm not sure anyone particularly 'gives thanks', though that's pushed in the media as well. It's more just a time set aside where everyone sees their family. Similar to Christmas I suppose, but for us non-Christians who don't celebrate Christmas, it's something we can share with everyone else.

Of course my Aunt used to do Thanksgiving when she was alive. And even when I was in the States after her death, it wasn't the same. If I went to see my family in Michigan, all the people were there, but the food wasn't quite right. The location wasn't right. Now that I've moved here, I find I don't have the push to revisit Thanksgiving. I don't have the drive to 'do my own' here and invite people around to celebrate with me. It's something I've just let slide.

Maybe one day I will make a new tradition out of it- something that can mean something to me again. But for now, it's more just a warm and pleasant memory, a part of my personal history.

No comments: