26 March 2005

Breakfast

The most important meal of the day. Or so they say. I think lunch is the most important meal of the day, or at least the most nourishing. But wait. I was talking about breakfast. I go through breakfast cycles. Eating the exact same thing for months or years then suddenly changing to something else.

When I was young, my mom made me look at the sugar content on the information panel. If the number was over 13, I couldn't have it. That pretty much meant it was Chex, Rice Crispies, and Cheerios for me. But twice a year, on my birthday and for Channukah, I could get a 'junk cereal'. Mmmmm sugar. When I went to college, imagine my wonder at the 24 hour cereal bar. This is where my love affair with Lucky Charms began. If the food in the cafeteria was shit, you could always count on Lucky Charms. And Coke. No wonder I got my first cavities in college. But back to breakfast. I've always been a cereal and milk sort of girl. That mutated for a few years into mueselix and yogurt but really, it's just a variation on the same. I picked that up the semester I spent in Copenhagen.

I just got an IM from my friend this morning knocking my American breakfast of cereal and milk, half a grapefruit, and some orange juice. "Isn't that too healthy for an American breakfast?" she asked. Americans get knocked all the time. Movies like 'Supersize Me' don't always help. Hell, most of the time I agree. But living in a foreign country honestly makes you stand up for things you never thought you'd stand up for before. I guess it's one of those things- you feel alright knocking your own, but it's something else when other people do it. It's time to stand up for breakfast. I ask you, how does my breakfast compare to this typical English offering?


*shudder*

No comments: