13 March 2012

Somewhere Out There

So earlier this year I had some of my family come to visit and stay with me.  This included my step-mother and my two Aunts.  Basically the three women who are married to three brothers.  We left the men at home.

I had a great time with my family as they are a  quirky bunch.  Of course a past time of this side of my family is to complain about or gossip about the thing that holds us all together, my father and his two brothers (and the family from which they came).

Now I'm used to many odd stories, because my family is well, odd.  But I was somewhat disturbed that my two Aunts both told the same story that they had heard separately from their husbands (although I think the story was passed from one Uncle to the other).  At any rate, the story went something along the lines of, my father had gotten some woman pregnant.  When he refused to acknowledge her or do anything to assist her, she decided to punish him by taking herself and the unborn (?) child away.  Or maybe she had a baby boy.  The story is somewhat murky and to be honest, I should have written this down sooner.

My step-mother had not heard this story before and neither had I.  Now, my dad is a big philanderer (another story) and so it's not at all unexpected to have a story like this crop up.  In fact it was a somewhat running (not funny) joke for him to say I'm the only child he has that he knows of.  But it seems like perhaps this is not true.

I had thought that my step-mother would ask him about this when she got home, but she didn't.  I know this because I spoke to her a couple of weeks ago and I asked if she'd asked him about it because it just popped into my head.  But she said she would.

This past weekend I talked to my dad and step-mother and she tried to indicate to me that she had talked to him about it but as he was around and likes to eavesdrop, she couldn't really discuss it.  So it was more me asking questions and her giving yes no answers.  But the short version I got was that he said the story was true and doesn't have any more information.

So I have a half-sibling somewhere out there, possibly in an Asian country who  I have never met and who my father never acknowledged or helped in any way.  Part of me wonders if this person will at some point seek me out.  I on the other hand, have absolutely nothing to go on.

It feels weird though.  Very very weird.  So I thought I'd record it here, as to be honest, there is nothing else I can do with this strange bit of information.  Families are screwy.

No comments: