22 January 2010

Assaulted by Vegans

Earlier this week I went to pick up my vegetables. For well over a year now, I have subscribed to an organic vegetable box scheme. One in fact, I would highly recommend. One of their principles is to really limit their carbon footprint. So instead of delivering to many individual houses (as many box schemes do), they deliver to local pick-up points and it's up to you to collect your vegetables from the pick-up point once a week.

Now as it turns out, I only live a block away from one of the pick-up points, which certainly impacts my general like of the scheme I'm sure. The next point of note, is that the particular pick-up point by me is a vegan cafe.

Now, to back the story up slightly, and to connect to my previous post, when I started at my industrial partner, I thought I needed a somewhat nicer jacket than my old stained puffy feather green jacket. The only jacket I really had was a leather jacket with a fur trimmed hood. I figured this was nicer and perhaps better to wear to work than an old stained green jacket. On top of that, it's warmer as well which is good because London has been a bit cold this winter.

I'm sure we can all see where there story is going. But yes, I went to pick up my vegetables, at the vegan cafe, wearing my leather jacket with fur trimmed hood.

Now I'm not an idiot and it did occur to me that maybe this wasn't ideal, but it was the last day for vegetable pick-up and I figured what, maybe I'd get some dirty looks but really I was just going in and out and that would be that.

No.

So I get there and it's busy. And almost immediately as I walk up to the counter to tell them I'm there for my vegetables a little punk ass two-toned hair vegan starts calling over to me and asking if I know the fur on my jacket is real fur.

Yes I say. I know it's real fur. This jacket is also 20 years old at this point, and you know what? I eat meat, and I'm okay with it. Sorry if it offends you.

He then asks me if I would wear an aborted fetus that was 20 years old.

I said I would and turned away from him. This was obviously going to be a pointless exercise. And of course, the staff were busy and no one was coming to the counter and I was stuck. Worse, stringy vegan boy's table is blocking my access to the vegetables so I ask his table-mate to move so I can just get my vegetables and be on my way. She of course doesn't move, then the staff come out.

I apologize, say I really didn't mean to cause trouble, just want my vegetables and am happy to go. I should also point out that the vegan cafe is not the one I pay for the vegetables. They host the pick-up service, possibly even get some money (or vegetables) to offer the pick-up service, but they are not the ones offering a service to me.

Vegan two-tone starts loudly proclaiming that they don't serve people who wear fur and I shouldn't be served. I point out I'm not asking to be served, just want my vegetables. Name off list, and I'll be on my way, and oh, could that girl move please.

I end up having to shove past her and dive over some guy on a computer only to find that there are no small vegetable bags left. So I've been through all this harassment for nothing and just want to leave. Two-tones friend makes like she's going to block me in and then makes a big huff about moving her chair out of the way.

I then have to tell them there are no vegetables so I don't get charged for a bag. All the while I'm just receiving much abuse from little two-tone. I'm generally trying not to engage him. It really wasn't my intention to cause trouble and to be fair, I didn't do or say anything. He really started it and wouldn't drop it. I was highly tempted to point out that my jacket was leather, my purse was leather, my shoes were leather, and my wallet was leather as he only seemed to be fixated on the fur trim for some reason. But I thought maybe that wasn't a good idea, so I just did my best to ignore him. Told them I had no vegetables and made to leave.

And the door was stuck. I tried the lock, it wouldn't open and I had this fear that some creepy vegan had locked the door so they could continue down this vein of harassment. I was really frustrated and just wanted to leave, all the while stringy vegan is now shouting at me that I'm so stupid I don't know how to operate a door, so a woman gets up to help me get the door so two-tone starts yelling at her, then she's telling him off and it's all kinds of fun.

The door was just jammed, she managed to free it in a far firmer jerk than I would have felt comfortable doing. As I went to go, vegan fudnut yells at me that I better not ever come back. I couldn't help but return that I come every week for my vegetables as I went out the door.

The whole thing just left me a bit shaken up and jittery. I really do despise confrontation.

On top of which, I was thinking today earlier that I really need to give up the vegetable scheme as I'm not around much to make use of it and will soon be around even less as I split my time between Cambridge and London.

Is it wrong that the wanky vegan twat experience actually made me consider changing my mind and instead wearing fur there every week? Like I said, I really don't take well to being attacked. It only makes me want to get even.

3 comments:

Clair said...

Next time,I'll come with you in a leather jacket with my 80 year old fox fur over the top. Twats. Will you complain to the people who supply the veg; I think they ought to be told, and hopefully find another local shop they can do their drops at.

Louche said...

How horrible, yes complain to the company who do the drops. Or I'll come along next time with a brace or two of freshly shot pheasants.

Kopaylopa said...

Both ideas are smashing. Alas, this week is my last week of veggie pick up. And because of the error of last week, they're giving me a free small fruit bag as well.

-K