14 April 2009

Spending

I already knew this was not going to be an inexpensive trip for me. I mean, it was going to be impossible not to spend money, and so I am of course spending money. Carefully, but still spending.

My mother emailed me here at my dad's to say that my gynecologist has canceled my appointment because she is 'on vacation' which you would think would be known in advance of having made an appointment which sort of makes me think that maybe it was an unplanned sort of vacation, but what difference does it make? With my only one ovary left (with a known cyst on it no less), I'm a bit cautious about my hoo-ha health and a bit wary of the NHS and their ability to get anything right.

Well, I could make an appointment with another doctor but that's sort of not the point. Oh whatever. I'll skip it this year and I'll probably regret it later. But that's how life works I guess.

The reason of course this has to do with spending is it is one less thing I am paying for- a doctor's appointment and the subsequent tests that were sure to follow. Today I have a dentist appointment so will pay for that. Hopefully I don't need anything done because of course that's on top of the regular exam cost.

And then there's the clothes. I went shopping with E yesterday for some work pants because I don't have any pants I can wear to work. I've been wearing a lot of skirts. And while I like skirts, there are times I just want to wear pants, and jeans aren't really appropriate. So I managed to get three pairs of pants (two that need to be shortened) which was good, but costs money and of course there were some really cute tops that were perfect and wonderful so I got a couple of those too, but I can wear them for work as well, so it's not like it's bad, it's all just money.

On top of this there are meals with friends. I have a lot of people to catch up with and it tends to happen around a meal which means paying for a meal. I had one on Friday when I got in and I have another today. I only see these friends once a year so I'm not going to begrudge a couple of dollars here and there, and it's not like we go to overly expensive places- it all just adds up.

Oh well. It'll be fine. It's just my savings. At least I have some to draw upon. For this trip I'm using my US savings account to try and limit the impact on my UK account. If my UK finances are okay, I can always try to send myself some money back to replenish.

Actually that reminds me that I was going to see about cashing in some bonds to put in my US account. I'm sure I have some old bonds still lingering around. Bonds have been a lifesaver at various moments in my life and I am a big fan of giving them to children along the way.

There isn't too much other news. Tomorrow I go back to NY and I am still feeling paranoid about things with Heathrow but trying not to let the crazy take over too much. I'm enjoying my trip so far, even though I'm concerned about spending. And I know I'll be back in the UK before I even know it!

No comments: