06 February 2009

More Considering

So looking around on what is on offer in the land of employment today, I have found a new opportunity and one that does hold some appeal. There is a fully funded PhD available through the University of Birmingham. It is on a topic that is directly related to my interests and speciality. So this is good. The good things about this new idea is that I would end up with a PhD- which would make it easier for me later to move into academics. It's in Birmingham, which is vaguely commutable (most PhD students don't have to be 'there' all the time- though this job involves research that is potentially based in a Birmingham based office, but this is still not necessarily the end of the world). This would also allow me to continue on small jobs and consultancies- in fact I would have to really, because the downside to this job is that the school fees are covered (so free PhD basically) but the living stipend is only 13k/year. That's less than half of my previous salary, though arguably, it's tax free, so it's slightly better than it initially seems. But still not ideal. On the other hand, it would be something instead of nothing, and would perhaps benefit me in the long run by increasing my credentials and giving me advanced knowledge in a topic that is relevant and important to my field. Plus I'd be published and stuff- all good for my future career really. So actually, I'm thinking that I might be pretty interested in this one. Well, I've at least convinced myself to apply. We'll see what happens with this, and everything else.

No comments: