18 February 2012

Busy As Usual

That's how things are around here.  Not surprising.  At least nowadays I'm actually mostly working on my own stuff, which is great.  The bad side is how little seems to get done in a day and how time just flies past.  It makes me feel like I need to ramp up my efforts at least tenfold.  Ah well.

So what exciting things have been happening in my life?  It snowed here in the UK two weeks ago.  That was nice.  Except that no one understands what to do with the snow.  It didn't really snow that much- maybe four inches max.  However, no one shovels.  So it quickly turns to slush and then ice overnight.  Treacherous at best.  At any rate, it happened to snow just when I needed to go up to Cambridge on my bike.  I did it, stupidly turned down a less clear street, was cycling in a wheel track with a car behind me and when I tried to move out of the way to let the car pass, instead managed to fall of my bike in front of the car which promptly stopped.  I was fine, and the bike was fine, although I got a wicked bruise on my inner thigh which is still not gone and that's two weeks now.  At any rate, I managed to get to where I live, but decided to walk to my office the next day instead of cycle.

Now the snow is all gone- and we're back to the temperate weather of the UK which means it's just a bit above freezing and raining instead.  I actually prefer snow, if only people would bother to deal with it.

I had a date with a guy who I will not have a date with again.  I've got another guy texting me but I haven't met up with yet.  Feeling unmotivated on the guy scene.  Oh, don't get me wrong, no less motivated that I'd love to meet someone, but ever so tired of always meeting the wrong ones.  Makes me dubious about a good one ever being out there, but it's not like the just come knocking on the door so if you don't ever put yourself out there and try, you most certainly will never get.  It's just demoralizing periodically.  C'est la vie.

I had family here, I went to a conference in Manchester where I got to present a paper I had accepted.  I saw my good friend C and her toddler and husband who I haven't been up to see for almost coming on two years, although she's come down to London and I've seen her here.  I could probably say more about these things, but I feel the moment has passed.

One outcome however, was to see some photographs of myself from the conference.  I feel fat.  Of course, I'm only ten pounds more than I've been the past eight years.  But the weight that seemed to appear this time last year and has not gone away is beginning to upset me.  So I've decided to work on my eating and am using an on-line calorie counter and phone app to track my food intake.  This has worked for quite a few people I know, so I think it's a good thing to try, and I know I tend to overeat at meals, even though I don't really snack.  I'm trying not to make a big deal out of this to people I know because I feel like weight loss should be somewhat private.  And also I don't want to see this as a 'diet' I want to see it more like a 'life change' on my eating habits to something that is a bit healthier and better for the long term for maintaining a healthier, and thereby lower, weight.

No comments: