26 September 2011

Am I Halfway Yet?

I don't really understand this new blogger format and it's been fucking with my writing and posts.  This type looks too small, but the next size looks too big.  It also keeps putting super sized breaks between lines which is annoying as fuck.  Jesus.  Between blogger and facebook some bunch of engineering idiots need to just leave the shit alone and go do something better with their time.  Like discovering new no carbon energy sources or something.  Maybe what I should do is write everything first and then change the type second.  Anyway, this is all besides the point.

Life has been very busy lately.  Far businer than it has any business being.  It's mostly all good stuff, but it's ridiculous.  I wrote about going camping.  I wrote about September 11th.  So now it's the 26th.  Since my last post I have been to Italy to present a paper at a conference, I have been to Oxford to present a poster at a conference.  I have been back and forth to Cambridge on a single day to meet with three new students that I am Director of Studies for.  I have had my friend S from Africa visiting for a week so have been going out for some very social dinners.  I had another colleague from Cambridge stay over.  I met up with an ex colleague from Baltimore for dinner.  I had two more research interviews which involved my traveling around London.  I think that might be everything.  It probably isn't.

I've been very stressed but managing it reasonably well.  I still have a lot to do however.  This is why I wonder at what point I am in this work-load continuum.  I am chairing a meeting tomorrow at which I am also making a short presentation about my work.  I need to write a first draft of another conference paper hopefully by the end of this week.  I need to follow up with my research interviews that I have not yet had yet and I need to follow up with the ones I just had and said I would follow up with.  I need to chase my industrial partner for their feedback on the latest 'Think Piece'.  I need to chase my fellow PhD A for his contributions to the second research paper so I can do my part of that as well.  There is other stuff to do as well like figure out where the hell I misplaced my ticket and fine receipt for not having my student card on me on the train to Gatwick, write some new blog posts for the other blog which are now stacking up, and also do my taxes for last year.  I should do this one in particular- they owe me money back.

I think I am managing all of this alright because a lot of it is fun mixed up with all the shit I 'have' to do and is therefore less fun.  I am enjoying seeing people and going out and doing things.  But it is tiring.  I figure my current level of effort and energy is going to be required through about mid November.  At which point I'll have about two weeks of rest before I go to the States.  Fucking hell.

Still, I'm not really complaining.  It is mostly good stuff.  There is some petty bullshit going on- particularly surrounding my supervisor.  But this seems to be impacting me slightly less personally at the moment so I'm trying to keep it all that way.

I suppose the only other thing that I need to try and do is to keep on getting out there on the dating scene.  I had one date as well in the past couple of weeks, but nothing came of it.  No biggie.  Now, back to work!

No comments: